Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Thursday, August 1, 2013

Little Log House Pioneer Show

I can't believe how fast the summer is slipping away. So much to do and not enough time.
I've been neglecting my blogging too much lately!

We always go to The Little Log House Pioneer/Farm Show in Hastings Minnesota. It's usually hot and humid but we lucked out this year, breezy, partly cloudy and cool.

I love their farm-y flea market but it seemed a bit sparse this year.

But I did find 2 things that I was looking for!


I have been keeping an eye open for this drying rack for years.
They are always either too expensive or have broken, warped or replaced dowels.
After inspecting this one it appeared that it had hardly been used.
$20! 


I just love the look of it.


A pretty piece of embroidery for $2


How it looks collapsed, it has a tripod base and that folds too, 
pretty compact!


A man had this old Big Ben alarm clock with no price, when I inquired he said it doesn't work (like I care!!!) $2!!! I reached for my $2 mighty fast!


Then the other thing I was looking for an old wood wringer to hang in my laundry room. 

I have always been drawn to anything laundry room related, old wringer washers, wash boards, clothes pins, anything that reminds me of the 'good old days'.

If you have been following my blog from the beginning you know I have several old wringer washers...including my grandma's and my moms Maytag's which is what I used when I was a youngster and still do use in Wyoming!

You can see my little collection of wringer washers HERE.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, the laundry comes out so clean. I can do 6 loads in a quarter of the time it takes an automatic. Yup! You throw in a load and when it's ready to run through the wringers I put it through 2 rinses and then into the laundry basket. When I was a kid we used the old metal kind on rollers with the cloth basket that everyone wants so badly now.

We always washed the towels and then sheets first and then moved onto darker items.
We threw in another load and then went outside to hang the laundry on the clothes lines.
By the time we finished hanging them, the 2nd load was ready to hang out so we repeated until we were finished.
We could get it all done in the morning and then in the afternoon we would breath the fresh smell as we took down the dried laundry.
Nothing better than fresh sheets on the bed!


I found several old wringers that day but I liked this one the best and the price was the best at $20.

When we build the new house, I will have a pretty laundry room off the kitchen and this will hang on the wall so I can see it when I walk in the door.
Yes, I can see it all in my head...hope it really happens!


The last thing I picked up was this big old tin or zinc box, no clue what I'll do with it but I thought it looked kind of cool.

We are busy as bees packing and planning. It's time to load up 2 trailers full of stuff to haul out to Wyoming.
We'll be working on the inside of the bunkhouse and also bringing fill dirt into the pole barn to level out the floor.
I have lots and lots of staining and painting to do, hopefully that'll get me back in shape and lose a few pounds!

Thanks for stopping!

Linking to;






9 comments:

  1. Hi Faye...loving your finds!
    Can't wait to see what you are hauling...very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Still using a wringer washing machine. I was involved using them as a youngster. And, getting fingers caught in the wringer. Nice crisp clean sheets being hung out would be awesome but with all the crap in the air around here, that probably wouldn't be a good thing. Congrats on finding your favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Faye, Your post tonight sure brought back memories of a long time ago. I remember the wringer washing machines and I also remember using a wash board a long time ago. I remember when my mom got her first electric washer. So many wonderful memories, I would like to find a dryer rack like yours. I want to use it at craft shows. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful treasures! Good thing you waited for just the right drying rack to come along, what a bargain. Love your laundry wringer story. I remember my mom used to hang our laundry on a clothes line and I loved the fresh smell. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - You have been a busy girl. How far is the trip you take with the trailer?
    Love your dryer rack- I have only ever seen one of those EVER. That is quite a find. Hope you have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many cool finds, I can't wait to see the new laundry with all your incredible vintage pieces, it's going to be amazing!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous finds - I adore the drying rack. I will now be hunting high and low for one of those too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that same drying rack. It was my mom's that she used at Bible college. Mine is missing a few dowels that I need to replace, but I'll be sure to "age" the dowels first so they match up. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome finds, Faye!! We used a wringer washer too. With eight kids in the house, it seems like it took forever to do socks and underwear!!!
    Your new place is going to be so cute by the time you are finished with it.
    Your decorating skills are amazing.
    I'm glad you had a good shopping trip.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!