Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Saturday, October 16, 2010

Junk Pickin' Treasures


I walked down our driveway to pick up the mail one fine autumn day last week and as I was walking back up I noticed the old junk pile. It's a small old dump from an old farm homestead that was torn down many decades ago. It's about 30 feet off the driveway and in the bushes so you can't see it.

We've said for 20 years we should dig in that small pile so I got the shovel and came back and started digging.

Not 5 minutes into it I heard the sound of the shovel scraping glass so I took it easy and out came the aqua Ayers bottle...not a chip or crack anywhere...just dirty. So I got excited and started digging more and found the old Hamm beer bottle. Back before they called it Hamm's. ( A popular local brewery)

I spotted a little blue glass sticking out next to an old bed spring. I carefully dug it out thinking for sure it will be broken but it wasn't, just has the metal cap rusted on. There was also a funny piece of metal partly showing so I carefully pulled that out and here it's an old license plate reflector 'thing' from the 20's or 30's. The glass reflector was perfect! It says Silvertown Safety League which had to do with Goodrich Tires back in the day.

I was so excited that I talked my husband into helping me dig the next day...we pretty much just found junk! I uncovered the white cold cream jar and the cast iron wood stove vent which is pretty cool.

Trying to get a good shot of the Ayers Cherry Pectoral, Lowell, Mass U.S.A.

A wheel barrow of junk...literally! Maybe I can scrounge a thing or two, the seat cushion is pretty rusty but might be able to be used for something...some day! Any ideas?
There's part of the old wood cooking stove and another bottle with some tar stuck to it.

A pile of junk! There is the old stove vent...up side down.

The excavation site! Lots of broken crockery, it was a 10 gallon crock and a couple of brown jugs...wish they were whole!

I can have the best time digging in an old junk pile!

1 comment:

  1. Love that aqua bottle and the bed springs are cool for so many things!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!